What is a Classical Education?
Classical education is rooted in the ancient Greek philosophy that the purpose of education is provide a better citizenry. Classical education uses great literature, great music, great art, rigorous and challenging study in language arts, including Spanish as a second language and teaching of Latin and Greek roots, science, and history to educate children in the ways of civil society. The Savannah Classical Academy will provide children a challenging content-rich education.
What’s happening at SCA:
- Mastery of core subjects will take priority.
- Literacy will be taught through an explicit phonics program in the elementary grades.
- Math will be taught conceptually.
- Standardized tests will not drive the curriculum.
- All students will study history using mainly primary source documents, which will foster analytical skills and increased insight into culture and heritage.
- All students will be trained in study skills such as time management, organization, note taking and research.
- Instruction in the classical virtues will be integrated throughout the curriculum and at all grade levels.
- The study of Latin and Greek roots will be integrated into the curriculum.
- The instructional day will be extended by 60 minutes each day, providing an additional 300 minutes of instructional time per week and an additional 180 hours per year.
- Riggs Explicit Phonics – K-2